Acceptable ID Requirements

In the Province of Alberta, Registries requires us to ensure that clients are able to prove their identity AND residency in order for us to provide certain services. In place for a reason, these requirements are designed to protect the public and to ensure that no one else can obtain your identification card or driver’s licence. Accordingly, we simply cannot provide Alberta identification cards or operator’s licences unless certain criteria are met. Please refer to our list of acceptable documents below.

Please Note:

If we believe that fraudulent identification is being presented, no services shall be provided. Slave Lake Registries staff is required to contact an Alberta Registries customer service coordinator, special investigations or the police to report the event.

List of Acceptable Documents:


What you need to get an Alberta ID card or Driver’s Licence for the first time or a renewal of one that has expired for more than six months:

You will need: 1 primary ID, 1 Secondary ID and proof of residency in Alberta.

  • Municipal, Provincial, Armed Forces, Indian Status OR Federal Police ID Card
  • Current Canadian Passport (Not Expired)
  • Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency Card
  • Immigration Authorization (for applicants originating from outside Canada)
  • Study Permit or Work Permits (Must have minimum 3 months left on application or permit)
  • Birth Certificate (Canadian)

SECONDARY ID: (Support document for the presented primary ID):
  • Provincial/Federal Government ID Card
  • Health Care Insurance Card
  • Armed Forces ID Card
  • Birth Certificate (Canadian)
  • Indian Status Card
  • Marriage Certificate


(Mail received  in your name at your home or other confirmation to show that you reside in Alberta. Must be dated within the last
90 days with your full name and current address.)

  • Alberta Health Care Statement
  • Telus telephone bill in client’s name
  • Epcor/Direct Energy Utility bill in client’s name (electronic/online bills accepted)
  • Shaw Cable bill in client’s name (electronic/online bills accepted)
  • Paystub showing client’s name and address
  • Original Letter from Employer on Company Letterhead
  • Official ORIGINAL Lease/Rental Agreement
  • Bank Statement that has been MAILED to your residence. (Print outs from online banking or print outs from the bank with a stamp will NOT be accepted)
  • Property Tax bill, Land title or mortgage papers


If you are under 18 Years of age, Parental Consent is required.

We Make Alberta Health Cards & Drivers Licenses.

We pride ourselves on great customer service, consulting, and community involvement.

Contact info